A Brief History

The Kilmurry club has a long and proud tradition dating back to 1875, which makes it one of the oldest clubs in the country. At that time the game was known as "rough and tumble" in which men of the finest physique could survive. The chief opposition in those days came from the adjacent parishes of Kilmichael, Aglish, Murragh and Clondrohid.

A short time before the G.A.A. was founded Sir Augustus Warren of Warrenscourt arranged a game between Kilmurry and a military Regimental team stationed at Ballincollig. The Fenian spirit was strong at the time and though some of the players were tenants of Sir Augustus yet the invitation was not accepted.

Michael Cusack then founded the Gaelic athletic association in 1884 at Hayes hotel in Thurles and soon afterwards Kilmurry were to affiliate to that organisation.

Kilmurry representing the whole of the parish in these times were able to enter two teams in the Senior Championship and made an immediate impact on the football field around the 1890's, which surely should hand down a message to our present generation of footballers.

In 1890 they contested the County semi final against Midelton at the Polo grounds Ballincollig. Many unprejudiced spectators on that day, felt that Kilmurry were unlucky losers as a goal with a minute to go was disallowed. Midelton then defeated Dromtariffe in the county final and later went on to win the All Ireland. The members of that historic team were Dan Murphy Capt, Jimmy Long, Mike Wall, (Pullerick), Tim Kelleher, (Clonmacow), Denny O'Donovan, Jas O Donovan, (Tereveen), Con Horgan, (Dooniskey), Ed Murphy, Jerh Murphy, Tom Murphy, (Crossmahon), Dan Desmond, (Lissarda), Con Murphy, Donal Murphy, Ned Murphy, (Shandangan), Con Moynihan, Jer Moynihan, Con Burke, (Canovee), John Hinchion, (Knockavullig), J Murphy, (Maghalough), D Kelleher, Peter Bawn Murphy, (Kilcondy), Tom G Murphy, (Warrenscourt), D Parnell-O Mahony,(Kilbarry), Joe McSwiney and Jas O'Mahony,(Ballymichael).

Two years later Kilmurry avenged their defeat by Midelton in the Semi-final but lost to Clondrohid ll in the final. In winning the Championship Clondrohid had the unusual distinction of defeating two teams from Kilmurry at different stages of the same championship.

Interest then began to fade in the Club at the turn of the century owning to lack of players.

In 1910 the club was re-organised and with many Canovee players at their disposal played under the name of Canovee in the competition for clubs not having a senior team.



Back to top